Traditional investing requires financial expertise,
social investing requires much more
We combine experience from all relevant sectors:
- Private equity: After many years of successful private equity investing, we know its strength and weaknesses. The private equity model is ideally suited to grow small and medium-sized companies in underserved markets
- Underserved markets: 80% of the world’s population earn less than $10/day and there is an enormous unmet demand for essential services by low-income people. Our hands-on experience from investing in both advanced and emerging markets has taught us the skills necessary for long-term success
- Academic research: We have pioneered the academic research in social finance, which addresses the financing issues of socially-oriented organizations. Watch the video
- Our Advisory Board consists of exceptional persons providing us with hands-on support. All members are leading experts in their respective fields and share a strong interest in helping Sonanz reach its goals in this young and exciting industry
Andreas Nilsson, Founder & CEO
Mr. Nilsson has more than ten years of experience from the private equity industry, where he led many successful investments for EQT Partners and UBS. He has been an active investor for several years in both developing and developed markets. He has also acted as advisor to the first private equity firm in Bangladesh and the first social investment fund in Sweden.
Mr. Nilsson recently earned a PhD in finance from the Stockholm School of Economics and spent two years as a Visiting Fellow at Harvard Business School. The topic of his doctoral dissertation was “The Financing of Nonprofits and Social Enterprises”. He holds a MSc from the Stockholm School of Economics.
Ms. Freudenberg has two years management consulting experience from The Boston Consulting Group. She also led consulting projects for portfolio companies of Brummer and Partners, a private equity firm in Bangladesh.
Ms. Freudenberg holds a MSc in international health policy and economics from the London School of Economics and a BSc in European Public Health from the Maastricht University.
Our Advisory Board
- Founder of Ethos International, a Swedish-based consultancy firm providing services to large corporations on human rights, labor rights, environmental and anti-corruption issues
- Founder of the street newspaper Situation Stockholm as well as similar newspapers in Russia, Ukraine and South Africa
- President of Nevado Roses, a producer of organic and Fair Trade roses in Ecuador
- Founder of the Farmers For Good network, which aims at sharing and promoting fairer and better industrial farming practices in developing countries
- Elected Young Global Leader at Davos World Economic Forum
Brummer & Partners Bangladesh
- Co-founder and Managing Partner of Brummer & Partners Asset Management (Bangladesh) Limited, which manages Frontier Fund, the first private equity fund in Bangladesh
- Co-founder of Gonofone, a founding partner of GrameenPhone, the largest mobile phone operator in Bangladesh.
- Founder of bracNet, a Bangladesh wireless broadband operator which was later acquired by KDDI of Japan
Arisla dos Santos
Private equity fund investor
- Global private equity fund investing for one of Europe’s largest asset management ﬁrms
- 7 years at von Braun & Schreiber Private Equity Partners, a German private equity fund-of-funds manager
- 5 years at Banco Itáu (the largest private bank in Brazil) focusing on the selection of Brazilian hedge funds and the management of the bank’s private funds-of-funds
Stockholm School of Economics
- Centennial Professor of Finance and Private Equity at the Stockholm School of Economics and Director of the Swedish House of Finance
- Member of the prize committee for the Sveriges Riksbank Prize in Economic Sciences in Memory of Alfred Nobel (the “Nobel Prize in Economics”)
- Vice Chairman of the Board of the Sixth Swedish AP Fund
- Independent advisor to and Investment Committee member of various emerging market PE firms, including South Suez Capital (pan African fund of funds), Synergy Capital (Nigeria and Ghana focused PE firm), CDC and TripleJump
- Previously Partner and co-head of Emerging Markets investing at Arcano, a Madrid and New York based financial services firm with $3 billion in AUM in private equity mandates
- Former Portfolio Director and Investment Committee member at CDC in London responsible for Latin America and Southern Africa and former PE investor at European Investment Fund